Monday, January 10, 2011

Ups and Downs


We saw Dr. Leddy today, but there isn't much new to share. My progress is continuing and I am to just keep pushing my heart rate further and further. I can comfortably do 20 minutes keeping my heart rate under 138 so far, and he's given me permission to push up into the 140's. We may do another functional MRI to see if there is any visible progress in the blood flow to my brain during tasks.


I am trying to get over this virus that's been going through my body. I was sick with a cold type thing for a week, that got better, but now I feel nauseous and tired. I'm not sure if it's symptoms of my concussion getting the best of me, or a virus working it's way through my body, or some combination of both.

Please pray that I can stay healthy so I can keep making progress in my treadmill treatment. When I'm able to be consistent on the treadmill, I feel better. I have more energy and my symptoms are easier to manage. I only had 1 migraine a week for the past 6 weeks, so there is improvement there. The medication I have to treat the migraines also seems to be working pretty well.


Thanks for all the prayers and support. It's been 19 months now, since the first head injury. I go through ups and downs in my attitude and outlook all the time, but it helps me to know that I'm prayed for by so many.


4 comments:

  1. I have been dealing with post concussion syndrome for over 6 months now. I am so frustrated and down because my doctors just keep telling me I will get better. First they said I would get better by three weeks and then it was 3 months, then 6 months, and now they have changed it to a year. I have had to reduce my work schedule to about 20 hours a week and even that is a struggle. I was wondering how long you have been dealing with this and how much improvement you have had. I just found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelley,
    I'm sorry you have PCS. It's not fun at all! I too went through the 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months... song and dance. I understand that it's because many concussions do not last like ours do, but it's still frustrating to get your hopes up and be disappointed. The approved method of treatment for PCS is rest and “wait and see”. There are some medications that can ease your symptoms, but there is no cure, diagnosis, or treatment for the actual PCS.

    There is a great message board mentioned in one of my posts that can help you find support and knowledge from some who have been through this longer or are more thoroughly informed: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum92.html

    Don't get discouraged. I am involved in a research study that Dr. Leddy is conducting on PCS diagnosis and treatment. It is a regulated exercise program that works to help regulate heart rate. With PCS, as your activity level goes up, your heart rate goes up and that causes symptoms to increase. You can find more information and articles here: http://concussion.buffalo.edu/

    Have you seen a neurologist? Are you on any medication? What are your major symptoms? What was the original injury? If you can, read through some of my blog posts in small doses. I've been through 19 months of this so far and am still hanging in there. I think that I find that the more I understand about what's happening to me, the easier it is to accept that it's happening to me.

    Thanks! Good luck! Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate, I have been dealing with PCS for almost a year and I want to take a more active approach to getting better. I am considering seeing Dr. Leddy in Buffalo but I do have some questions about his therapeutic protocol since I live quite far from his clinic. Do you mind emailing me? ConcussedJ on GMail. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure C,

    Let me know what questions you have and I can answer them to the best of my ability.

    Thanks!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete