Friday, March 18, 2011

Held back by fear

So... not much to update anyone on. I have nothing new on the doctor front to report. I was sick for a while and struggling with that. I think when anything is thrown into the mix on top of PCS, it gets exaggerated. I feel like it's difficult enough and it's hard to handle any more discomfort. I rescheduled my next appointment with Dr. Leddy for mid-April.

It's been 10 days since I've been feeling better from being sick and I've been doing great on the treadmill. I'm trying to also take the same approach from my treadmill therapy and apply it to the rest of my life. I feel like if the issues I'm having with symptoms in social situations might be related to a stress disorder that can be dealt with through therapy, then I might be able to work on it myself.

I'm not discounting the success of therapy. I think talking about issues and finding out what's going on can be so helpful. I couldn't get an appointment at the place that takes my insurance until the middle of April, so I thought I could try to take a crack at it myself.

I've been easing myself into social situations and trying to push my limits a little at a time. I feel like I might be seeing some success. I know it will take a while to build up my endurance, but maybe regulated exposure to social situations can help me to build up a tolerance.

I also found that I was being held back by a fear of being better. I wonder if the “new” me that has existed since the head injury will disappear when I'm better. I've grown so much and love who I am now. I learned what my true priorities should be. I learned how to give up control of everything. I learned how to fully love myself for who I am. I learned that the amazing King of Kings, Lord of Lords is the greatest love of my life! I learned how to have a positive, wonderful, and healthy relationship with my husband. I learned how to appreciate my children. I could go on and on.

I don't want to lose the person I have become. I think that may have been holding me back for a while, but I feel more secure now in that fear. I think it's good to be aware of it and cautious that I don't slip back into my old ways, but I can't let it rule me.

Hopefully the more I can trust and let go, the better I might feel. I am glad that I followed the path of looking inward. Sometimes I think I just need someone to tell me that it's ok and I'm not going to hurt myself more if I do something. A special thanks to Dr. Leddy for being that person that God used to deliver that message.

Please pray that I will continue to see progress on the treadmill and out in my life. Maybe one day soon I'll be driving, jumping on the trampoline with my kids, dancing with my husband.... :-)

With faith, hope, and love,
Kate

5 comments:

  1. Kate...I just found your blog again. I replyed to you August of last summer 2010 shortly after I posted my comment my computer crashed and I lost all the addresses. IT has taken me until March to find it again. My Dr is horrible...his well we will just wait and see approach turned into an attitude of yeah I Don't believe you. Then I found out I didnot have insurance after Jan of this year so I Could not even go to him or the OCcupational Therapy he prescribed....MY disabailty insurance company finally decided to pay :) But they called me friday and said that my Dr removed all my restrictions EXCEPT operating heavy equipment and when they called to see if that included driving his office said no Chip can drive (never told me that at my last appt in Jan) So they told me they are discontinuing my coverage...so I either have to talk him into reversing his "OPINION" or find another Dr. I think I Will try to make an appt with Dr Kang. I am glad I Found the blog again. I am out near Darien Lake so it was close to go to my Dr in Batavia, but after the expereience I had met with Dr.Laszlo Mechtler at dent and I was not impressed what so ever....hope this guy is better :) Thank you again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chip,

    I'm so sorry you have been having such a horrible time with your PCS. I was diagnosed by Dr. Kang and had seen him shortly after my initial head injury. He does work in the same office as Dr. Mechtler, but I hope you will have better luck. I'm not sure why you would have had trouble getting the diagnosis and the disability information from Dent. They have been on board with me since the beginning.

    I did get denied for short term disability and long term Social Security Disability. It is part of the process and you cannot get discouraged. I appealed short term and got it and I'm currently awaiting the appeal hearing for the SSD. I applied in November 2009 and my hearing date was just set for April 11 2011.

    Again, I'm sorry. It is not an easy process to go through. It's hard enough living with PCS, let alone trying to convince people of it. From the beginning I have felt like a “faker” or a “liar” just from the way people have treated me about it. My husband has been great through it all and supported me 100%. I think you just need one person to really go to bat for you and it can help you through.

    I have seen God's faithfulness through the let downs and the wins. My life is changed and my identity is different, but better. It's been a tough ride so far, but I'm grateful for every challenge that I've been able to get through. You are stronger than you think. God may let you experience tough times, but He's right there holding you through it. Don't give up on hope!

    With faith, hope, and love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate..glad I found this site. I am suffering for 7 months now with a concussion and not dealing well with it. I can't tolerate much. Few mins on computer..barely any tv, hardly leave the house, etc. Everytime I do ...MIGRAINE I'm really going stir crazy. Any suggestions??

    I find I have to remove myself from the kids when they get home from school...to another room to "rest" I"M SICK OF RESTING. Drs. say do what you can tolerate. My problem is I can tolerate a lot, but an hour or so later I'm doomed!!

    What suggestions do you have? I posted before about the treadmill therapy.

    DA

    ReplyDelete
  4. DA,

    Hi, I'm glad to hear from you, but sorry that you are going through this. I also have a limited amount of time I can sustain physical, mental, and social activity. Everyone with PCS has their limit, and you just have to find yours and try to work within that.

    I can go for about 20 minutes before I need to take a break. I have to remove myself from the situation and have quiet and peace for a little bit and sometimes I can go back to it.

    Try to ease yourself into things, but stop the moment you think you start to feel your symptoms increase. If you wait until it's too late, you will have a migraine, I find.

    I find the times I can do a little bit of physical activity, I feel better and have more tolerance. Can you take slow walks? When I started I could only do a slow walk for a minute or two every few days. I had to work my way up to the 20 minute jogs I am at now. It took almost a year to get here, and I'm still not technically “jogging”. I'm at a treadmill speed of 4.4, jogging is 5.0. ;-)

    Progress will be S...L...O...W! Don't rush it. I get ahead of myself all the time and feel like I did ok, maybe I can push it more, and then I find myself laid out for a couple weeks.

    Maybe slow walks will help, but you have to stay close to your house and avoid busy areas. Try one minute just going around your property and then go rest. It seems silly, but getting out and doing something, anything, can help lift your mood and make you feel like you are doing something. Maybe in a few weeks, you'll be able to go for 2 minutes. Who knows! Just take it slow and stop the moment you feel your symptoms get worse.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. injury 7/09 from softball hittin my head....very similar symptoms to you....cant work, fatigue, spacey, headaches,...what are we supposed to do? awful...im up for advice or giving advice...

    ReplyDelete