Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Anniversary


Yesterday was the 2 year anniversary of my head injury. It's amazing to think that it's been that long since my life has been so severely altered. I don't really remember what it's like to feel good. I don't remember what independence feels like. I thank God every day that it wasn't worse, and I am as high functioning as I am.

My every day symptoms at this point are: low-level headache and nausea, fatigue, unsteadiness, lack of focus, average of 45-minute limit on physical, social, intellectual activity, difficulty with different areas of memory, mood changes, and an average of 1 migraine a week.

The approval for disability last month was a win in so many ways. Not only will we be able to catch up financially, but the declaration helped me feel validated. PCS is an invisible problem and that might be the hardest thing about it. I am told all the time, “Well, you look great!” I know it's meant to be an encouragement, one that I fully appreciate, but it shows that people really can't tell when someone is hurting inside. I am happy in life, though, and I am glad it shows through my pain.

I am still continuing with my treadmill therapy. At my last post, I was jogging at a high heart rate. Now, I have slowed it down a bit and increased my time. My doctor says that the high heart rate can be unhealthy for extended periods. Now I am at a speed of 4.5 for 30 minutes, and my heart rate peaks around 160-170. I see Dr. Leddy once a month, and will be seeing him June 20. The goal is to increase my endurance, and hopefully that will translate into increasing my activity limits daily.

I am still struggling with my herniated discs in my neck. I have been given a home traction unit, but I think it might be making things worse. I try to keep up with my physical therapy home exercises, but it's a nagging pain that is increasing my every-day headaches.

My husband found a therapy called The Bowen Technique (http://www.boweninfo.com/how_it_works.htm), which might help with a lot of my issues. I called the practitioner in our area and will hopefully set up an appointment to try it out. I will always try something new and see if it helps. God works through all things and can use all things for His glory.

I'm so thankful to my family and friends who continue to stick by me and support me in all I do. I am amazed at how people can be supportive even when they can't quite know how I feel or what I'm going through.

2 comments:

  1. Glad your SSDI got approved and you are keeping up with treadmill. Which sure helps a lot (besides help from family and friends) in this terrible journey to see some solid hope.

    I completed my 2 year anniversary last month and of course nothing to celebrate for. I do have most of the symptoms you have still and sometimes it seems unreal and unbelievable. I can totally relate what you are going through. Everyday wake up and deal with all different symptoms and has no idea which one will get worse and which one stays the same. Feels like the whole world moving fast and time stands still for me.

    I have told I look great and even a doctor told me the same thing last month! People think I am depressed and don't blame them when doctors think like that.

    Sorry to hear about neck injury on top this PCS. I have some mild neck issues and i tried the traction unit and gosh it made me very dizzy. only thing works is neck massage from PTs which is temporary.

    I do 20 mins stationary bike most days and not sure it helps with my symptoms but sure helps my body to be in some shape.

    Bowen Technique sounds interesting if only it works as they say. I do try new things but I go with 50/50 hope so I don't get disappointed if it didn't work.

    I never thought this will go for 2 years and not sure anymore what to think of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam,

    Thank you for your kind words. I am grateful to God and to Him be the glory! I am glad to have people to relate this experience to and with, but sad that others have to tolerate these issues too.

    Good to hear you are on the bike. I don't know if that helps you either, but it must give you a boost in spirit. I know that as much as I am tired and not feeling well, the treadmill certainly helps my mood. I also gained 25 lbs when I first was injured and am now down to about 15 over what used to be my normal weight.

    I got an appointment for Monday with a Bowen technique provider. I will keep you posted and let you know how it goes. I'm always willing to try things too and I try to keep in mind that God can work all things to His plan and His glory! I do try not to get too excited about things though, I also get beat down by disappointment.

    2 years seems like a really long time and it hit me pretty hard, but I'm trying to keep positive and remember all the good things that have come of this. I'm a different person, certainly, but I think I've changed in a positive way. Keep your chin up!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete