Monday, August 30, 2010

Acupuncture

We have tried all the prophylactic migraine treatments that we can think of, but the side effects hurt me more than the benefits might help.

Topamax (Topirimate) gave me extreme fatigue that glues me down and makes me feel as if gravity is working against me.

Propranalol made me so depressed that I was curled up in a ball crying the week before my birthday. My birthday (ask anyone who knows me) is the greatest month of my year for me usually. They took me off it before I started having serious thoughts of suicide.

There isn't much else out there being used to prevent migraines. Treximet helps when I get a migraine (as long as I take it before it's too late). I am prone to complex migraines that make parts of my body stop working. I have had complex migraines that made stroke-like numbness/weakness appear in one side of my body or the other. I have had central apnea (your brain stops telling your lungs to breathe while you are awake and asleep) from a migraine.

Bottom line... I should not let myself get a migraine.

Maybe I'm just sensitive to medications, but they aren't working for me. I'm trying acupuncture. I have my third session tomorrow. I haven't noticed anything positive yet, but I'm giving it a chance.

It doesn't hurt. I feel really tired after and have some weird tingling/numbness/weakness in my body. I have a weird craving for wonton soup after I'm done. I know that when she puts the pins in, it gives you this weird warm rushing feeling in your body. So... It's doing something, I'm just not seeing anything yet.

I'll keep everyone posted.

2 comments:

  1. The level of relief from migraine you get from acupuncture treatment can vary from person to person, but it generally takes three weeks before you feel significant effects. If it doesn’t relieve your headache, try to ask your acupuncturist for independent ways on how to avoid migraines. One way to prevent migraines is to avoid the triggers such as too much light or exhaustion. I can also see that you’ve been through a lot of medication therapies, and a lot have not worked for you. If you’re planning to get back on taking meds, be careful not to overdose. Hope to hear how you’re doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I haven't done acupuncture in a while. You can read up on the surgery I had recently and all the other stuff I've been through if you want.

    I'm doing a little better every day. Very tired from the surgery.

    Thanks!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete