Monday, September 19, 2011

Communication and UNO cards


I had a couple of interesting doctor visits this past week. I am officially done with my scheduled Bowen Therapy appointments. This was an alternative treatment to get my body balanced and re-booted to fight my post-concussion syndrome. She said that she has done all she can for me and to only call if I need her.

I saw a psychologist this week who specializes in brain injuries and post-concussion syndrome. She has explained to me that I need to rehabilitate the stress processing part of my brain and she has ways I can do that. I operate at about 75% of what I used to be on my best days. That is my baseline (my 100%). In order for me to begin this rehabilitation, I need to keep my level above 50% consistently.

She has given me ways to monitor my exertion levels and is starting to teach me how to communicate with everyone so that I can keep myself healthy enough to start this rehab. For home, I have a stack of UNO cards that I can put in a card holder showing what level I'm feeling at the moment. 1-3 in red, 4,5 in yellow and 6-9 in green. That way my family knows what I am up for and can know how to approach me. It helps me know what I can and can't do also.

I'm learning what affects me and what things I need to change. I hope I can be more honest with everyone about how I'm feeling and what I need as I learn these things. Please pray for me as I go through yet another new treatment. I have so much hope for this! Now that I'm learning what I really need to get better, I have to stay rested and learn to let others do things for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment