Monday, September 5, 2011

Second Wind


There are definite ups and downs in this fight against PCS. I waver through stages of “grief”. I am in total acceptance of it some days and looking for ways to live with it, and other days I examine all my symptoms and see what I can do to beat this thing (even if it's unbeatable).

My husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary by going out of town to Toronto for 5 days. I couldn't believe how far I could push my limits. Without the stresses of every day life, it was 3-4 hours before my symptoms reared their ugly heads.

When we got back into town, it was a huge wake up call for me. My limitations were set right back to 45 min – 1 hour before my symptoms kicked in. I've woken up with bad headaches with nausea and fatigue almost every day since I've been back. If I could live stress free and only experience physical limitations for 5 days, how can I make changes to my life here to accomplish some sense of “stress-free” every day?

I decided that I might need some help. I did some research and found a counselors group that takes my insurance and made an appointment with a psychologist. I see her next week to see if I can find ways to manage my stress more effectively. Some of you have said to me that this has helped you or that some of your neurologists have suggested that brain damage can include stress processing limitations. I am hoping that talking through things can help me to have less stress in my every day life and longer periods of time to function daily.

I also hired someone to come and clean my house. I can pick up the house pretty well and as a family we stay on top of the dishes and laundry, but my house just doesn't get cleaned, and it makes me crazy! It's one of those things that adds to my stress. I try to clean sometimes and it hurts my body so badly. I was vacuuming last week with a pounding, spinning head, and I paused to vomit when I just started laughing at myself. Why hadn't I been able to decide to get this help for myself?

It's so hard to look at myself and not only accept that I need help for some things, but that I'm worth it enough to be helped. I do our finances and am so tight with the money, trying to pay down debt and get to a place where we can start saving. It's crazy to me to try and spend some of that money on myself. A wise person in my life made me turn the situation around. She said, “If it was your husband, wouldn't you do everything you could, no matter what the cost?” She was right. It helped me to see that he just wants me to be better and the less I do to make that happen the worse he feels.

I hope these changes can give me longer periods of “ok” time where I can function somewhat normally. With school starting tomorrow, I know that will also take a lot of my stress away. What are some other suggestions for stress management and getting help that you guys have found?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Kate.

    My husband recently got diagnosed with PCS but his actual injuries were years ago. The symptoms just popped up out of nowhere about a month after we were married. I was in tears yesterday when I found your blog. It's just so great to know that we're not alone. Thanks so much for your willingness to express your faith and share your vulnerable side with us. We appreciate it!

    Blessings,
    Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    I'm so sorry that your husband is suffering from PCS. I can't imagine things being reversed in my family's situation. You are not alone for sure! There are a ton of support groups and even a facebook group for PCS.

    The thing that keeps me going the most through all this is the unyielding support of my husband. He tirelessly shows me love and understanding. He must vent and take his frustrations out elsewhere, because it is rare that I see him lose it over my PCS. I often feel like he has the worst end of this. I'm so grateful to know you are looking for support and ways you can be there for your husband.

    There are many who have shared that their spouse has left them or shown what a burden they are to them. I will pray for your endurance and your strength as you deal with your husband's limitations and shortcomings.

    Keep your chin up and your eyes on the Lord!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete