Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A new hope.... ;-)


After a 6 week migraine, I called an emergency meeting with my neurologist's PA to discuss options. Every medication I have taken has caused side effects that outweigh the benefits. I can take the edge off the migraine, but it keeps coming back after a few hours or the next day.

She ordered a slew of blood-work to be done and a CPAP sleep study. Amongst my vitamin levels and blood counts, she ordered a test for the MTHFR gene mutation which can cause this reaction to medication I've been having. (http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MTHFR) I will find out the results on Monday, Oct. 24.

After some research, I'm really hoping that this test comes back positive. From what I've read, it appears that this gene mutation can cause not only my adverse reaction to meds, but also migraines, fatigue, nausea, and more severe stuff down the road like stroke and heart issues. The solution would be to take a form of folic acid called methylfolate to counteract the effects of the gene mutation. It would be a simple thing to fix so much!

Although I still have more rehabilitation to go through, my physical rehabilitation seems to be complete. Before this 6 week funk I've been in, I could go 30 minutes on the treadmill with a heart rate in the 150s regularly. That was the goal set for me. When I start feeling better, I am going to be able to take the treadmill test again with Dr. Leddy to be sure. This would be a huge win for us!

I'm so hopeful right now that this gene mutation is the answer to how badly I've been feeling and the constant migraines. It would be so awesome to have this be the end to my story and the beginning of feeling well! Please pray that the blood-work is conclusive and clear. Please pray that if the tests come back negative that I don't lose hope and get too disappointed.

The Lord has been faithful and taught us so much during this time and it has all been worth it. Please pray we will continue to give Him the glory and trust His plan. Thank you! 

5 comments:

  1. This is the list of meds I've tried and failed:

    Preventative Migraine Meds:
    Topamax – heavy fatigue/nausea
    Propranalol – depression
    Amitriptyline – bad withdrawal symptoms (fatigue)


    Acute Migraine Meds:
    Maxalt – ineffective
    Treximet – GERD
    Sumatriptan w/ Naprelan – rebound headaches
    Frova (frovatriptan) – numbness/weakness in limbs/headache
    Eletriptan (Relpax) – ineffective
    Sumavel dose pro – heavy fatigue/nausea/“hot flashes”/rebound headaches

    Cambia – agitated/restless/anxiety
    Benedryl – fatigue/ineffective


    Nausea Meds:
    Reglan – agitated/restless/anxiety
    Zofran – ineffective

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think my head pain has anything to do with migraine , I think that head pain after PCS is completely misunderstood! Nothing works for me either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that Jesse!

    I agree that the PCS head pain is not dealt with. Some people do well with every day meds, but that's not for me.

    I usually just deal with the every day PCS head pain, and when I go migraine I use the emergency meds for it.

    I pray you will find a solution to your pain! Do you have doctors you can trust and rely on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. After a couple of years of meds I went natural instead & use products that have really made a big difference in my recovery & general brain health. Pharmaceutical meds WILL worsen PCS in the wrong quantities. The Medical world could do with waking upto the fact that PCS like many conditions can be treated with more progressive means, but until they get out of bed with the mega Big Pharma companies they will continue to ply PCS patients with heavy meds thus making them MORE dependent on their own products.... Selah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, I agree. I have gone off all the preventative meds and don't take anything unless I can't stand the pain anymore. Some of the side effects from the meds have been traumatic for me.

    There are a host of vitamins and natural solutions that can help with every day pain. Some therapies can make a big difference.

    The power of prayer should not be forgotten either. God can do amazing things with these bodies He's created for us!

    ReplyDelete