Thursday, October 6, 2011

"Poor - Me" Day


It's been a tough couple of weeks for me. As I am learning to say no to things, I am feeling like I'm being tested thoroughly. I haven't been in a position to say “yes” for the past couple weeks. It's been rough.

I have developed a sensitivity to Triptans and they just aren't working to kick my migraines lately. I have tried Maxalt, Treximet, Imatrex, Frova, and Relpax. They all work to block different receptors in the brain. All of these, except Treximet (which includes Naproxen), only worked with the addition of an anti-inflammatory.

I found myself with a 6 day migraine that wouldn't break. The Frova I took gave me stroke-like symptoms, and I found myself not knowing what to do. My neuro put me on a Prednisone pack and eventually had to order an infusion yesterday. The infusion included a non-steriodal anti-inflammatory (NSAID), Benedryl, and Zofran.

My migraine was taken down from a pain level of 8 to a 4, but the nausea never left me. I went home and slept it off for a couple hours and found that I could get out of bed. I couldn't sleep last night very well and found myself up at 6 this morning.

My neuro is going to give me something else to try for migraines today. I've been so traumatized by different medication's side effects that I'm nervous to try anything new. I feel like lately all medication I take is either ineffective or makes crazy stuff happen to my body. Even vitamins come right back up. I've ordered gummy vitamins to see if I can keep those down more easily.

I'm having a “poor-me” day today and I'm trying to get back to a positive, hopeful place. Please pray that I can have faith and patience as I try out some new medication. I hope we can find something that will work for me.

2 comments:

  1. Kate,

    Have you tried Topamax? I have been on it for about 6 months now and all though I still have migranes they are not nearly as bad. I didn't realize how much it was helping until I tried to get off of it and had a migraine for over 2 weeks. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelley,

    I have tried Topamax, but the side effects were really tough on me. I was so fatigued I could barely get out of bed. I'm so happy it has reduced your migraines, though!

    I'm seeing a bit of a break in the clouds today as the humidity is starting to break here. I hope that I keep getting better.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete