Monday, March 31, 2014

Staying in the light

I struggled with writing this and coming out with it, but I finally came to the conclusion that I can't hold things back from people if it might help someone who is also going through this. I recently started a new treatment that my neuropsychologist recommended to me over and over again until I gave in and tried it. I started taking marijuana about 2 weeks ago.

It was tough for Dan and I to come to the decision to do this, but we decided on some parameters to make us more comfortable with it. It's legal where we live, so I'm not breaking laws to buy it. I am working on getting a prescription card for it to keep the cost down and to be able to use the medical dispensaries. I will only do it after the kids go to bed, while Dan's home, and if I don't have to drive anywhere. I've only been taking a little bit to give me relaxation and relief, without getting high or stoned.

The results have been fantastic. I would never have imagined that I would find relief in such an odd place. For the first time in almost 5 years, I'm sleeping well and mostly through the night. I even had a couple dreams here and there! Imagine, not dreaming for 5 years and never feeling rested. Either the sleep or the marijuana gives me positive results during the day too. My headache is dulled, my nausea is way reduced. I feel steadier and much more relaxed and rested. I don't have that jittery, restless feeling that I've been plagued with. My brain isn't so overworked and I can focus on the things that I'm trying to focus on.

I've tried all different kinds of medication and any results have been negligible. This is the first time I'm seeing marked results and relief! I'm still doing the neuropsychologist treatments with the brain wave training. It seems to be good to do these two things together. The neuropsychologist thinks it can help my brain see what it is supposed to be like and get used to that feeling.

I know this is weird, different... whatever you want to call it. I'm trying to treat it as a medication and take it one day at a time. I'm continually discussing it with Dan and another accountability partner to make sure I'm not abusing it. The kids know I'm taking a new medication that I have to take at night, before bed, when their Dad is around. I'm keeping track of the amounts, times, and results in an app I've found.


Please consider before you judge that I'm not the kind of person who would decide this lightly or jump into doing this without struggling with it. It's great to finally have something that is helping. We'll just see where it takes us. Please pray, not only for the effectiveness of this, but for strength for Dan and I. It is difficult for us to be bringing this into our family. We are praying to keep the positives outweighing the negatives. It's better to keep things like this out and in the light, rather than hidden away in the darkness.

  

6 comments:

  1. Hi Concussion Kate,

    Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I too, live in Colorado (Boulder), where it is legal to use marijuana. I've never tried it, but have wondered about how it might help my PCS symptoms.

    I am nine weeks out right now, so still letting nature take its course, but I'm glad to know there is an option out there that is providing long-awaited relief for you. And It is being used medicinally, so as far as I'm concerned, there should be no more judgment than if you were to use antibiotics or antidepressants.

    Thanks again for your openness and generosity in sharing your experience. I hope it only continues to help.

    Kristen
    @kkinnetz on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate!
    I have been suffering from PCS since 2010. I was a sophomore in high school then and now am a freshmen in college. Kate, your struggles and mine are incredibly similar. I have been getting botox injections every three months for my migraines. This is the only thing that has been able to offer me any relief and improvement. But I am begging to struggle with it. As you know, with concussions your anxiety level skyrockets, especially if you are like you and be and have been living with it for so long. I have developed an intense fear of needles and the botox is just so painful to receive . I have continued to do it though since the results are amazing. However, I am about to try this new development called Cefaly. It is a headband that has just recently been approved to help with migraine headaches. Hopefully this will be able to replace the botox. Thank you for your blog! It's nice to finally have someone to relate to. No judgement here. You honestly just get to desperate to feel normal and for relief. I completely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Kate! Marijuana use is nothing to be ashamed of. I used It when I first had my concussions to help with the dizziness, and it worked great, but I thought it was making me more depressed. In retrospect, I don't think that was the case since I'm still depressed and haven't used it in 3 years haha. It has gotten a bad rap, but I think people are finally realizing that it is not an evil thing. I'm considering trying it again, I'm in California and it's only legal here for medical use, but hopefully we'll soon follow in Colorado's footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And also, the facts that your neuropsychologist recommended it, and your state legalized it, should reassure you that you are not doing anything "bad". Don't freak out about addiction, that is a scare tactic used by anti-marijuana advocates, it is less addicting (if addicting at all) than many pharmaceuticals used all the time. Don't add stress to yourself worrying about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate,

    I am glad you are finding relief, finally. Why anyone would "judge" you for using a natural, medicinal herb with proven medical value for numerous conditions is beyond me. There should not be a stigma associated with this treatment. Marijuana addiction is not something to worry too much about, but it is always good to be safe. May I ask when you take it, how much you are taking (THC & CBD), and how you are taking (edibles or vaporizing)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. Kate, are you familiar with the Carrick Brain Centers in Atlanta and Dallas? Check out this video below. And *don't* exclude it b/c of any associated costs. A lot of patients raise their money to go there (those who can't pay outright) and are seen.

    One of the consultants also told me many use a website called "go fund me." Take a look at both links and go to the top of the go fund me page and click "Watch the video" at the top to see how it works. I'm SURE you could raise the money to get there given your story.

    Christ be with you, sister.

    Carrick Brain Center ABC story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDT90YPoC30

    Gofundme: http://www.gofundme.com/

    ReplyDelete