Monday, December 14, 2009

Applying for SSD

I understand that there are those who may take advantage of disability, but that certainly makes it tough for those of us who really need it!

I completed the 4 hour online application about 3-4 weeks ago. I can't believe the information they needed. It took me so long to fill the forms out, and I was exhausted after I was finished.

About a week ago, I got a new questionnaire in the mail. It was a 10 page form that repeated several of the questions I had already answered in the original application. I also got a second form that just listed 10 questions that I had to answer, further repeating information already offered by me.

I just got home from a doctor's appointment with my general physician, so that she could examine me and fill out the 10 page form they sent her! Will it ever end?

I've been told that the process was time consuming and frustrating, but I guess you never realize until you go through it. Venting just now sure made me feel better about it, though. Thanks for listening....

I have done everything I can on my end for the SSD offices. I guess I just wait for them to send me more information or more questions now. It will be all worth it if I get approved. The bills/debt are starting to take their toll on us.

I have increased my Amitriptyline to 20 mg from 10 mg (as per my neurologist) to help me sleep better at night. I'm still taking a while to fall asleep, but it has been helping me get some sleep. Maybe my body is getting too used to it. I see my neuro again in early January, so I'll revisit this then.

My every day headaches have gotten worse. Could be the weather, added stress of the holidays? It also seems as if the Treximet doesn't work as quickly or as well as it has in the past. It's been a little over 6 months since the first concussion, I wonder what it all means.

I'm still solid in my faith. God has been doing amazing things to and through me! I know that what I have is just the PCS, and that one day, it will be gone. Hopefully I can keep this peace. The prayers certainly help a lot!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate,
    I'm sorry that you are having to go through all this red tape for disability coverage. From what I hear, it seems like they deliberately make the application process difficult to discourage people from applying. If you get turned down, don't give up on it! I think it is common for people to get turned down the first time. At least, that was the case with my niece who was later approved.

    In regards to my headaches and related symptoms, I'm hopeful they will disappear in time. On days when I'm feeling good, I'm very hopeful. On days when I'm feeling badly, I wonder how I can even make it to work. As a computer programmer/analyst, I need my brain to work well and some days it is difficult to concentrate.

    I'm trying to thank God every day regardless of how I feel. I'm thankful that I'm alive, that I can walk, go to work, and help people each day. Still, it's much easier to praise God when I'm feeling good! :)

    I will keep you in my prayers!

    D

    ReplyDelete