Monday, June 4, 2012

3 years.... yuck


I can't believe it's been 3 years since my concussion that started all of this. I know that I've come a long way, but right now it just seems like I haven't made any progress at all. The new neurologist found nothing conclusive in all the tests he ran. This is good news, but I think I was holding on to hope that there would be something he could find and fix easily.

He's put me on Topamax daily to try and prevent some of my migraines and Maxalt for when I do get them. These are medications I've tried before, but we are trying different dosages and deliveries.

I'm seeing my primary physician tomorrow and am going to bring up an Endocrine study that my husband and I looked into, which tests hormone levels and how they might affect some of the symptoms I'm having.

I'm feeling discouraged lately and am having a hard time fighting my way out of it. I've been trying to stay positive this past 3 years and just live my life despite my limitations, but am realizing that I have to do a better job living within them. I'm trying to face the reality of my situation and trying to be more honest with myself and with everyone else about what I am truly able to do and be.

I need to do a lot less and say “no” a lot more. I'm hoping that my friends and family can be patient with me as I find my new normal.

2 comments:

  1. Kate,

    I can relate to what you are saying, what's my purpose if "I can't....(fill in the blank)" I struggle to find hope, or to be hopeful, and we grab on to the little things and then somehow they are pulled away from us too...
    ...I pray for you today that it gets better and you too will find that purpose you are looking for...

    Regards - Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie,

    Thanks for your kind words and understanding. I really appreciate your prayers. I know I will slowly find my way back to putting my faith in my Lord, but it's hard to do.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete