Thursday, January 9, 2014

Back in the game

It's been a while since I've written anything. I think it's hard to keep saying there hasn't been any change. It's been over a year since my surgery. It is time to get back in the game.

I saw a Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) last week and explained my whole sad story. I'm not sure how to gauge her reaction. She said she would look into some things and see what she could figure out as far as treatments go. It didn't seem like she saw me moving past my current state. Maybe she was really interested, maybe she was trying to placate me. We'll see.

I got a comment from Kathy on a post that gave me a direction to follow:

"My daughter suffered from PCS for several years with zero help from any of the 13 doctors she saw. We finally found an effective treatment program called LENS, which is explained at http://www.virginianeurofeedback.com/lens.php My daughter's story is at http://mindahaas.net/2013/03/one-concussion-too-many-my-post-concussion-story/ The LENS treatments gave her life back to her. Have you looked into LENS? You can find nearby practitioners at wwwochslabs.com"

I've looked into it and I think I'm going to check it out. Has anyone else tried LENS? I'm wondering if there is total improvement from the treatment. I am way better than I was in the beginning, but I would really like to break through where I am stuck at now.

My current symptoms are:
everyday headache
migraine (1-2/per week)
fatigue
muscle pain/weakness
nausea/vomiting
poor/restless sleep
hazy/foggy feeling
over-stimulation of senses



James 1:5-8 MSG If you don’t know what you’re doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You’ll get his help, and won’t be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who “worry their prayers” are like wind-whipped waves. Don’t think you’re going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi there, I came across your blog while searching for help with PCS. I suffered my very firt concussion ever (hopefully my very last) 5 months ago. I have been suffering from PCS ever since. :( Headaches, migraines, light sensitivities, noise sensitivities, chronic ear aches, chronic fatigue, the list goes on and on. I recently found out that I damaged my occipital nerve as well, which explains alot of my symptoms. Glad as I am to know what is causing it, it makes it no easier to deal with. I just received my second nerve block this afternoon and I am keeping my fingers crossed for some bit of lasting relief. Finding your blog was one of the best things I have found so far. I know I am not alone. While I KNOW that there are many sufferers out there, its hard to not feel like you have no ine sometimes. People who have never experienced this have NO idea what its like. Sympathy only goes so far and lasts so long before people start to think you should just "man up" and "get over it". I know I have isolated myself and bottle my emotions up to spare people from hearing my complaints and concerns. Sorry this is so long winded, but I have been dying to talk to someone who gets it. Thank you for this blog, and please keep it up! (When you feel well enough, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I'm so sorry about your story and what you are going through now. It's really frustrating to try to make people understand. I really hope you see some progress through the nerve block. Never stop trying things and never give up. There is always a new treatment to try.

      I have found that even though people don't respond well to being honest, it is good to learn how to communicate. One of the biggest improvements came from seeing a counselor and learning how to communicate how I was feeling.

      You are welcome to vent any time you want. Hang in there!

      -Kate

      Delete
  2. Kate-
    Our stories are eerily similar. Right now, I have been holding onto Psalm 119:92, "If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction." I am a former teacher who was rear-ended on the way to work. I have 6.5 and a 4.5 year old daughters and a God-given husband. I would LOVE to talk with you through email. jenrossi1217@gmail.com
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, I'm sorry you are going through this. It's not a good time. I'm starting a new treatment Tuesday and I will keep updating this as I go through it. I am glad you have found joy and strength in the Lord and I wish you all the best. Keep fighting this thing and remember that God loves you and wants what's best for you!
      -Kate

      Delete