Thursday, January 7, 2010

Good appt today!

I saw my neuro today and it was a pretty informative appointment. Instead of my normal neuro, I saw the PA. At first I felt bad about that, as if I was being pawned off. It ended up being really good.

She was very informative and listened to me. The appointment lasted 30 minutes instead of the typical 5. She gave me a lot of information about alternative therapies that she suggested I try.

I've been taking 20 mg of Amitriptyline/day. She is going to up that to 30-50 during the next 6 weeks. She said the Amitriptyline should help with headaches, sleep, and muscle pain. If any of these three symptoms are not being helped by the dose I'm on, she wants me to up it by 10 mg. She said if we get to 100-150 without results, then we'll try something else.

She also revealed to me that I have a herniated disc at cervical C-4 and C-5. This was news to me! I thought maybe the pain I was having in my neck was "in my head".

She suggested craniosacral therapy (instead of regular physical therapy). I just did some research on it, and it sounds very interesting. She gave me the name of an office that does it in the area. She said all my neck, shoulder, and upper back muscles were in spasm because of the spine protrusion.

She also suggested an alternative chiropractor in the area that could help with the migraines. I'm going to see them and get evaluated.

She gave me a vitamin supplement that my neuro group designed to help with migraines. The mix is:

Riboflavin (B2) - 133mg per capsule x 3 capsules/day = 400mg
Magnesium - 133mg per capsule x 3 capsules/day = 400mg
Feverfew - 33 mg per capsule x 3 capsules/day = 100mg

She said they break it up to spread out the benefit and because it's rough on the stomach. She said it could take up to 3 months before I notice any significant difference, though.

If anyone is interested, here's the link:
http://www.pinepharmacy.com/store/in...TOKEN=57744666


I also brought up the UB Concussion study, and she said to go for it. She seems to be very proactive and I'm excited to have some new stuff to try. I'm going to call the UB study and see if I can be evaluated and possibly be a part of the study.

Hopefully I can find rides to all these new things. It would be tons easier if I could just drive! FRUSTRATING!

No comments:

Post a Comment